Monday, April 23, 2012

Age and Digital Literacy

In Darcie's blog Technology in the Pre-K Classroom she states that Technology should begin in the preschool classroom.  I agree not only as a preschool teacher but also as a mother of a preschooler. Many of my students come to me with some experience and knowledge using computers, iPads and hand helds like Nintendo DS or iTouch.  Under my supervision my own three year old uses the iPad and iTouch.  I believe he has gained great learning from these devises in the all areas of academic development.  He is able to maneuver websites and Apps I have set up for him as well as Utube videos.  However, like all things these devices are not babysitters and need to be supervised and contain appropriate rules and regulations.
By having a computer, iPad and or iTouch in the classroom it gives all children the advantages of technology that they may not have at home.  These advantages are not only for regular education but should also be used in specialized instruction.  In my preschool classroom we (mainly the students) use the Promethean Board daily to take attendance, make KWL charts, interactive literacy and math flip charts, music and movement and art projects.  Our SLP uses an iPad for vocabulary development and problem solving activities.  We are only at the tip of the iceberg in what we can do with preschoolers and the Internet.  With this said my hope is that preschool teachers understand the need for a balanced curriculum where technology has it's place.  Some websites I use with my students are starfall.com, helpkidzlearn.com, kidpix, pbskids.com, and bookflix

1 comment:

  1. Well-said! Yes, you see the need for balance, as well as the educational advantages of young children interacting with suitable tools. Okay, when can I visit? Maybe one day next week?

    ReplyDelete